|Fundamentals - Dribbling Series|
See Jr. NBA - Stationary ballhandling, At Home, Off-Season Workouts - YouTube drills.
- Maravich series
- Pounds - waist, high, low.
- Over a line or cone - E-W, N-S (see Hanlen stationary, Ballerbootcamp cones).
- Around one leg.
- pound inside-out
- pound cross
- continuous (low, high)
- tap-dribble cross, double-tap cross
- Figure-8 (and reverse)
- Push-through (leg wrap) - one-hand dribble-wrap, front to back
- two dribbles
- one dribble
- reverse (back to front)
- Behind the back
- Double combo moves
- between and under (double take)
- between cross
- between behind
- behind cross
- Triple combo moves
Here are 3 good daily/warm-up drills that cover most of the moves:
- Daily 5-Minute Routine (Tony Watson)
- Ball slaps, finger tips.
- Around head, waist, both legs, one leg, other leg, figure-8s, 1-leg 2-legs (reverse all of the these).
- Dribbling - low (calf), pounds (waist), around each leg with one hand, quick-dribble figure-8s.
- Windshield wipers (v-dribbles, both hands), walking the dog (both sides), dog wipers (front then side v-dribble).
- Crossovers, between and under (double takes), figure-8s (two dribbles), behind the back, between-cross each way, between-behind each way.
- Another 5-Minute Daily Routine (Watson)
- Head-waist-legs, figure-8s, 1-leg 2-legs.
- Pound cross, pound between, pound behind.
- Cross cross between pound, between between cross pound, cross between behind pound.
- Between between resets (rise up, hang), switch hands.
- 3-Minute Ballhandling Warm-up (Jordan Lawley)
- Pounds, front v-dribble, inside-out, leg wraps (one dribble), crossover (small, big), between, between and under (double take), behind (small, big).
- Between cross, between behind, cross between behind.
- Inside-out cross, inside-out between, inside-out behind
- V-dribble into a double move (Hanlen)
- Cross cross scissor scissor behind behind
- Scissor scissor behind (Calipari)
For more progressions see Off-Season Workouts - YouTube drills (ballhandling).
- pound, pistons
- shoulder high, knee high, tap dribble
- high-low (one ball high, one low, switch)
- one-hand dribbling, both balls
- front v-dribble (same-time, opposing)
- side v-dribble (same time, opposing)
- pound cross (one ball stays in front, or circle then change direction)
- pound between (cross the other ball), alternate legs
- traps - pound dribble high then low, repeat
- circle one leg (pound the other ball)
- alternating inside-out
- figure-8 (the balls follow each other)
- continuous cross, between to the right, between to the left, behind (Watson)
- continuous between, alternate legs
- half spider
- pound push-through (pound the other ball)
- Steph Curry - push-thru double behind
- alternating push-throughs (dribble-wrap) - front to back, back to front (both balls)
- juggles (change direction)
- pound between cross, or pound between pound cross (one leg then switch, one ball stays in front)
- continuous between and behind
Up and back
One ball (switch hands as needed), fullcourt, halfcourt or cross-court.
- right hand, left hand
- alternating-hand speed dribble
- (pound) crossover, between, behind, inside-out (see tight moves to half)
- stop and go (keep dribble alive)
- slow and go (fast-slow-fast)
- skip dribbles - strong hand, weak hand
- hesitation - stutter, skip, pause and rise on one foot
- Nash dribble jab
- pullback, pullback cross (retreat dribbles)
- figure-8 (pretzel) walking - forward, backward
- Intermediate to advanced
- Footwork ballhandling (continuous), see Dribbling - Jason Kidd fullcourt
- two dribbles (or 3), change of direction
- one-dribble change
- Double moves
- (pound) double cross, double take, double between, double behind
- Inside-out series
- (pound) inside-out cross, inside-out between, inside-out behind
- (pound) double inside-out cross, double inside-out between, double inside-out behind (wrap)
- Wrap series
- (pound) wrap, between wrap, inside-out wrap
- (continuous) inside-out between wrap, between behind wrap, cross between behind wrap
- Spin series
- (pound) pound spin, inside-out spin, cross spin, between spin
- (pound) between cross spin, between between spin, between behind spin
- Dribble-jab series
- Nash dribble-jab cross
- switch-hand move, switch-hand cross
- Hesi series
- (pound) hesi cross, hesi between
- (continuous or pound) cross hesi, behind hesi, inside-out hesi cross
- (pound) cross hesi cross, between hesi cross, behind hesi cross
- (continuous) double cross hesi, between cross hesi, double between hesi, behind cross hesi
- (pound) double between hesi cross, between cross hesi cross, between behind hesi cross
- Pistol Pete's - one hand, walking, dribble under the outside leg, over the other leg, switch hands
YouTube - Ball on a string, Fullcourt ballhandling, Baby ballhandling, 2-ball crushers, 15 dribbling drills
Dribbling - Procopio, Nash halfcourt, Memphis, Matt Doherty, Fullcourt zig-zag, Jr. NBA - Ballhandling (Moving), Pro Training workout #10, workout #11.
Use zig-zag cones or a line of cones to work on secondary moves (changes of direction). A cone line can also be used for primary moves (inside-out, hesitation), behind-the-back wraps, and weaving. Cones can be tight or loose.
- Tony Watson series, Coach Rock cones
- Fullcourt zig-zag
- Other zig-zag cones
- Other cone lines
- Steve Kerr - 4 cones - one move for the first two cones, a different move for the last two, do each move with each hand
- Develop Elite Ball Quickness
- 5 tight zig-zag cones, down and back two times,
- pound cross
- pound between
- pound behind (under the butt, not a wrap)
- pound cross-cross-between
- cross-cross-wrap (no pound rhythm dribble)
Attack the basket
Ball in the outside hand to start (can drop into a split stance), progress to inside hand, adjust finishes, attack from the top, and progress to shots, e.g. freeze pull-ups, crossover jumpers, stepbacks, drag pullbacks.
- primary moves
- hesitation, inside-out
- finishes - regular layup, power, reverse, Euro-step, pro hop (slice, slide), early (one-hand pickup), inside-hand, pass fake, around the back, goofy-foot
- freeze pull-ups
- secondary moves
- cross, between, behind, spin
- primary-secondary, e.g.
- inside-out cross, inside-out wrap
- hesi cross, hesi between
- cross hesi, between hesi
- finishes - baby hook, tight scoop, half reverse, floater, runner, spin pullback
- crossover pull-ups
- Iverson crossover series
- load-up move (skip hesi)
- hesi cross (Iverson)
- hesi inside-out cross
- counters - inside-out, cross between, cross cross, cross hesi (glide) cross (Durant double-cross)
- scissor series
- between, between cross, hesi between, hesi between cross
- hesi between inside-out
- between wrap, between cross wrap, between cross cross
- between hesi, between hesi cross
- between and back under
- finishes - at the rim, or mid-range shots
- other double (or triple) moves, e.g.
- cross cross (Kevin Durant)
- behind behind (Nash, Jamal Crawford)
- behind, spin (Rocky Ullah)
- cross spin, between spin (Tony Parker finish)
- jab series
- Nash dribble jab
- cross jab (drop cross, switch-hand move) - crossover, jab back the other way
- cross jab cross (or between)
- jab cross (dribble-foot jab, cross), jab between
- YouTube - How to spin move, Between the legs, Behind your back, How to crossover, 3 best moves, 30+ moves, 7 small-guard moves, 3 shiftiest moves
- Dribbling - Primary-secondary moves, KP Series, O'Neill moves, 5star triple b, Layups - Basketball BC, Daily Dozen, Shooting - Guard workout.