Key physical skills are stamina, speed, agility, and strength (see Try-outs - NBA combine, Physical testing, Kris Treat physical evaluation).
Off-season development is a must for serious players, especially an endurance base. Practice time is limited during the season, but a lot of conditioning can be done with a ball, e.g., passing, fast break, dribbling, 1 on 1. Defensive footwork drills combine conditioning with skill development, e.g., lane slides, slide and run, fullcourt zig-zag, X closeouts, as do quick backboard tips or rebounds (see Tipping, 5star quick bounce). Sprints (anaerobic training), wall jumps, squat jumps, tuck jumps and push-ups can be used as consequences, e.g. winners of a drill run one up-and-back, losers do two.
- On-court conditioning drills (pdf), e.g. suicides, 17's, 9's, lane slides, wall run, 300-yard shuttle)
- Interval - sprint baseline to baseline, jog it 1-2-3 times, repeat for 3-7 sprints total
- Half suicide options
- baseline to centre and back, baseline to baseline and back
- baseline to foul line and back, baseline to centre and back
- Bounding (long strides)
- See YouTube videos
The goal for speed training is short bursts (7-10 seconds) and longer recovery.
Legs / hips
- Duke speed skate, Hip exercises
- Wall sits
- regular (option - hold a ball out front)
- lateral (Duke) - all weight on the outside leg
- with forward pivots
- John Calipari - chin a 6-lb medicine ball, squat and hold, alternate with foot-fire, jump from squat, rock from side to side (feet wide)
- Squat (power) jumps
- in place, forward, or forward broad jump
- hold the landing, rebound and hold, or jump continuously
- walking, forwards and backwards
- stationary - lunge, step back, alternate feet
- Lateral bounding (Duke) - bounding to the left as far as possible leading with the left foot, repeat going right
- Piggy-back walking, jogging, squats
- Bench or box step-ups
- Right foot on the box, step up then step down with the left foot, continue, switch feet. Progression - drive the left knee up then back to the floor, the left foot does not step on the box (see pdf photos).
- Both feet step up and down,
- lead with the right foot (R-L step up, R-L step down), continue, then the left foot leads,
- alternating lead foot - R-L up, L-R down, L-R up, R-L down.
- Lateral step-up
- Step up with the inside then outside foot, step down the same side outside-inside, continue, change the inside foot (180 turn).
- Inside foot on the box, step up then step down with the outside foot. Progression - drive the outside knee up then back down to the floor.
- Bench or box jumps
- Two-foot jump up, jump or step down the same side.
- Leg circuit - 20 lunges, squats, squat jumps, bench step-ups
- See YouTube videos - Burpees for beginners, Lunges for beginners, 7 different lunges, 4-minute leg toning, 5 butt exercises.
- Duke agility, Mirror, Reaction, Whistle drills
- Lane slides, 5star defensive workout, Triangle, Wootten triangle, Larmand close-outs, X closeouts, Agility drills, Baller Boot Camp agility, Human 2.0 agility, Slide and run
- 5star agility, Calipari shuffles-hops
- Ladder drills (pdfs) - (a), (b), (c)
- See Agility (FIBA Assist), Conditioning circuits & agility (pdfs)
See At-Home Training for a training progression, also Body-weight program (pdf).