An individual defensive workout for any player. For the complete 5star workout, also use 5star dribbling and shooting workouts, and 5star Score 24 shooting.
a) Line shuffles
Facing a line on the floor with feet wide, shuffle your feet back and forth across the line for 30-50 hits (or X seconds).
See Defending - Line jumps, Conditioning - Line drills for quick feet (pdf).
Facing halfcourt, use defensive slides around two chairs (or cones), go 2-4 times (or 15-30 seconds).
Dave Malowski - figure-8 agility around two cones about 1 metre apart, progressions
- change direction on a whistle
- while passing back and forth with coach, then weak-hand passing
- coach lobs a pass from behind, react to catch it with a jump stop, then shoot, take a layup, pivot and pass, etc.
- Icky shuffle over the cones, then with passing to coach.
Canada Basketball - pair up with two cones,
- do three figure-8s (short, choppy steps) while partner counts, then move the cones further apart (slide between)
- Icky shuffle (in-in-out)
- X-country skier (Ali shuffle, moving sideways)
- partner randomly passes a ball
- load in multiple passers
- partner drops a ball, catch before the second bounce
- partner rolls a ball, dive to get it
- partner passes, bounces or rolls a ball
- partner stands behind, tosses a ball overhead, explode to locate the ball
- partner stands behind, calls your name, turn and find the ball
- multiple passers behind, turn to find the ball
- figure-8 footwork pattern while dribbling
- partner randomly shows his hands for a pass, cut for a return pass, dribble for a layup.
Augie Johnston - figure-8 shooting (YouTube), facing the basket, partner passes.
See Defending - Duke agility (barbell), Ball drop, 2-ball dance, Pasquali closeouts (option a).
Quick figure-8 footwork around two tight cones (option - until coach says "go"), then sprint a slalom course upcourt, jog back.