||Try-outs - Physical Testing|
From FIBA Europe - Testing and Evaluating the Motor Potential of Young Basketball Players (pdf).
1) Measure body height and mass
2) Vertical jump
Measured with optical sensors [but could be modified to reach up and mark a wall with chalk on fingers],
- Players step with both feet, jump and land in a semi-squat position (knee angle 90 degrees) then take off as fast and high as possible with hands on both hips and land on both feet.
- Players drop jump from the edge of a 25-cm-high bench with hands on hips, land on both feet then immediately take off.
- Timed sprint without a ball.
- Sprint while dribbling, change the dribbling hand at 10 metres.
Mike MacKay - sprint baseline to baseline and back through the foul line, repeat on the dribble (progression - 2 balls).
- Basketball throw - sit in a chair, rest both feet against the chair legs, keep your back against the back of the chair, throw the ball from the chest with both hands as far as possible [variation - sit on the floor, legs out front].
- Repeat with a medicine ball (explosive strength).
- Timed shuttle run - 6 x 5m - run to a line 5 metres away, cross it with one foot, turn and run back to the starting line, repeat two more times. Turn 180 degrees in the direction indicated by coach (pivot right or left).
- Repeat while dribbling, start with the right hand and change hands each time you cross the 5-metre line.
- Sprint 5 metres and jump stop, change direction 90 degrees and sprint to the finish line 5 metres away.