|Fundamentals - Off-Season Workouts|
A workout usually covers dribbling, finishing, and shooting, including shooting challenges (see below). See the Skills checklists, also YouTube playlists - Workouts, Shooting challenges, Pro Training workout series.
The off-season lends itself to less-conventional drills, e.g. quick turns, ball-quick, and hop drills (see Keys to shooting), explosiveness (see Guard drills, e.g. Taylor Allan kills and pulls), using chairs (e.g. chair drills, elbow pickups), and advanced moves and finishing (e.g. KP Series, Daily dozen).
See Off-Season Workouts - Details for brief descriptions and links to individual drills in shooting, dribbling and post workouts, and Favourite drills for complementary drills.
A shooting workout can cover
- free throws
- catch and shoot
- on the move - toward the basket (e.g. transition), laterally (e.g. around the horn), away from the basket (e.g. using screens)
- shots off the dribble
- pull-ups, stepbacks, drag pullbacks, spin and shoot, half spin, floaters, runners
- first step (e.g. triple threat)
- live dribble - transition, primary moves (e.g. hesitation), secondary moves, ballscreens.
Good shooters can shoot for makes or makes in a row; others can shoot for takes or time, or total makes instead of makes in a row. Use toss-outs in a solo workout for footwork.
- Billy Donovan - partner, screens, drive & kick
- 5star pairs spot, Lebron James, Varidel, Dave Love, Tony Watson series
- Triangle elbows, JJ Redick, Memphis, Pistons bust-up, Pistons cutting, Pivot kick, Partner reaction
- 200 makes, Green room, Crunch time, Pro Training, Circuit, Secret Weapon Workout #1 and Workout #2 (pdfs)
Dribbling (with finishing, shooting)
- 3 players
- Pairs competitive
- Shooting - Triano, Watson series, Noah basketball, also Closeout-slide, Guard drills (Taylor Allan)
- Dribbling - Pro Training workout #3 (Countdown, One stop and a score)
- Triangle, 5star defensive workout, Line drills for quick feet (pdf), X closeouts, Baller Boot Camp agility, Human 2.0 agility
1 on 1