5 on 0 fullcourt dribble-drive layups at speed. Always score (putback any miss), 4 or 1 inbounds. Start the first trip with a made basket. Trip options,
- up and back, start from one end, or from both ends
- start with a halfcourt attack
- one trip for each progression
- include primary fast break (scripted or
- 90 seconds, or until someone runs out of gas.
- Basic motion
- rack, drag, drop zones
- kickback (pitch)
- Perimeter shots (option - no putbacks, outlet on a miss).
All possessions are shown going upcourt in the diagrams, not alternating up and back.
See Offences - Dribble-drive progression
, Dribble-drive basics
, Fast break - 6-cycle dribble-drive
, 5 on 0 trips
, Shooting - Grinnell run the floor
, Fast breaks - Early dribble-drive ballscreens
, Offence - Hoiberg pitch series
Variations - 5 on 5, two teams
- one team plays dummy defence back and forth, then flip-flop
- alternate possessions, both teams play dummy defence, and convert from offence to defence using their defensive transition system (progression - one shot only, no putbacks).
1) Basic motion
1 drives into the lane (either hand), options
- rack it
- pass to 5 cleaning up or relocating
- skip pass weakside, 5 posts
- hit 4 filling behind, exit cut, 4 drives.
Shot option - kick-out to the ballside corner.
b) Drop zone
1 drives to drop 2 or 3, options
- 2 backcuts, 5 ducks in or tees-up
- 1-2 kickup, 2 shoots or drives middle (e.g. 2-4 kickback, drop 3)
- 1-2 kickup, 2-1 throwback, 5 posts (see Post-ups)
- 1-2 kickup, 1 passes and cuts through (Bollant quick
- skip pass.
Option - two drives (or drive and kicks) and a post touch.
- kickup-fist (for 2)
- kickup-throwback-fist (for 1).
Option - add pullback-dribble and quick-replace entries (Kentucky dribble-drive).
a) Kickback (pitch)
1-4 kickback, options
- 4 drives the lane, 1 fills behind (late)
- 4 stops in the drop zone (kickup, backcut)
- 4-1 throwback (swing pass) and cut
- 4-2 quick pass and cut.
Mads Olesen - use a 1-4 kickback when X1 is jamming 1 (forcing middle), or to exploit switching defence. X1 and X4 switch on the kickback, 4 pull-back dribbles, passes back to 1 and clears out, 1 exploits a mismatch against X4.
Reid Ouse - Drive and kick series
(YouTube) - if 1 attacks directly at 3 from the slot, it forces X3 to make a decision, if he jumps at his man, we now have a backdoor option.
Calipari - Second drives
- after a 1-4 pitch, 4 drives, hits 2 and goes through (weakside), 2 attacks the basket.
1-2 quick, options
- 2 can drive baseline or middle
- 4 moves over on a two-count, 2 passes and flattens back to the corner, 4 passes to 3 and cuts to create a triple gap
- 1 can cross-screen for 5.
Matt Bollant - Quick
- against teams that force baseline (keeping the ball out of the middle), 1 jump stops (in the drop zone), passes to 2 and cuts through, 2 can drive baseline right away, or drive middle, crossover and go baseline.
Olesen - with a dominant post player it's a good option to have 1 set a screen for 5. Variation - 1 dribbles out 2, who sets the inside screen (see Dribble-push
Ballscreen - quick-fist.
1 waves through 2, dribbles to the wing, and can attack middle or baseline.
4 and 3 fill behind after a two-count.
Olesen - use Dribble-push and Quick to check for zone defence, or to create a triple gap for 3. 2 can screen for 5.
112-1 dribble throwback, 5 posts.
If there is no post entry, 1 can drive middle (4 and 3 rotate behind, see Calipari), or 4 moves over on a two-count, 1 passes and flattens back to the corner (see Dribble-drive quick-swing).
This can be used against zone defence, see Zone set plays - Oakland loop series (Loop kick).
Kentucky - they don't dive anybody on a post entry, they want 5 to play.Olesen - on a pass into the post look to have the opposite high dive and opposite diagonal elevate.
See Dribble-drive progression (Kickup-throwback), Calipari kickback.