The original YouTube video is now private, but see Toronto Raptors 5-out offence, a newer video.
The Raptors offensive pillars are
1. Get to the foul line (get fouled in the paint on post-ups or drives, or at the 3-point line).
2. Swing the ball (don't hold the ball for more than one second).
3. Assisted baskets.
1 dribbles upcourt, passes to 5 at the top of the key, 3 backscreens for 1, who cuts to the rim, looks for the ball, then exits to the corner.
See Offence - Severns 21 (Down).
See YouTube videos,
a) NBA's most-used play
- the 21 play is a pin-down into a hand-off. 5 can come back to the same side where the ball came from or take it to the other side.
- 3 can slip the screen in front of his defender (who trails)
- 3 ghosts (fakes) the screen and comes to get a handoff from 5
- 3 screens then cuts to the basket.
- use 5 as a facilitator on the perimeter (need a skilled player)
- basket cuts are especially effective with 5 at the top of the key and the paint wide open
- split action is common, pass to 5 and screen down (often rejected)
- zoom action is also very common, split action but the bottom player comes up for a DHO
- stagger away is another action, 5 reverses the ball and sets a double screen (see Fast breaks - Away
- 5 can post up then lift up to initiate 5-out
- it's harder to offensive rebound and draw fouls from the perimeter.
5 makes a dribble hand-off to 3 then rolls, 3 looks for 5 or to attack the rim or shoot, 1 spaces up.
21 play - 5 can flip it into a ballscreen after the dribble hand-off.
- spacing in 5-out can become unbalanced, which leads to one of the most important parts of 5-out, the empty ballscreen, i.e. go into a ballscreen when the ballside corner is empty. Split action can set up an empty ballscreen (here 1 would cut to the basket then clear weakside for a 5-3 ballscreen).
If not, 5 spaces to the corner, 1 spaces up, 4 downscreens for 2, who curls the screen to the rim.
21 play - 2 comes off the pin-down into a dribble hand-off. If 2 curls or backcuts, screener 4 gets the hand-off. The screener can backcut instead of screening.
See YouTube videos
2 clears to the corner if not open, 3 makes a DHO to 4 and rolls, 4 looks for 3 or to shoot.
21 play - if the screener is a big, 3 can pass and follow looking for a hand-back (pinch-post action).
The pattern continues, 2 spaces up, 3 clears, 1 downscreens for 5, who curls it.
5 clears to the corner, 4 makes a dribble hand-off to 1 and rolls.
Here 1 drives and kicks to 3.
Swing the ball to 5 filling the top.
Into the offence, 4 downscreens for 1, then into a 5-4 dribble hand-off.