On a post entry, defenders crowd the post based on what colour their check is, e.g.
- if 3 is "red" (a good shooter), X3 opens up with his butt to the baseline but no direct pass back out to the shooter (shown),
- if 3 is "green", X3 gets in about halfway to the ball (chokes), is active, swiping at the ball, sees his check, and goes with 3 if he relocates,
- if 3 is "blue", he can't shoot, X3 charges the ball and gets two hands on it.
Any ballside defender plays the same way (here X1).
On the weakside, X2 protects the basket no matter what colour he is guarding, he reads the other perimeter defenders, e.g.
- if X3 and X1 are out on red shooters, X2 is much more important,
- if X3 and X1 are both blue, X2 can loosen towards the weakside,
- if they are both green, X2 reads what happens.